Woodgrange Road Methodist Church, Forest Gate, had one of the largest congregations in the borough.Interior view from a postcard. The Wesleyan Methodist Church originated in 1878 when members of the Stratford Circuit erected an iron building in this growing residential area. A permanent church was built in 1881-2 with the aid of funds from Sir Francis Lycett. In 1903 this church had the largest Protestant congregation in the borough, remaining strong even after the First World war. Under the pastorate of C F Ream (1991-25) services were crowded, debts cleared, and strong support given to overseas missions. In 1930 Woodgrange was included in the Forest Gate and Leytonstone circuit. Up to 1939 it still had a congregation of 800. In 1941 the church was bombed and its members moved to Field Road church. In 1956 a dual purpose hall was opened on the Woodgrange site and the congregation of several other Methodist churches combined. The new building, designed by Paul Mauger was opened in 1962 with the names of the five amalgamating societies on the foundation stone. Over the porch is the figure of an evangelist moulded in concrete by Peter Peri.