Yellow banner with the words Canning Town Womens Settlement P.S.A. 1892 and the design of two hands in a leaf in the centre, with a background design of flowerheads and a brown border on a wooden pole. (P.S.A. stands for Pleasant Sunday Afternoon)
Canning Town Women's Settlement was founded in 1892 by F.W.Newland pastor of the Canning town Congregational Church and closely associated with the Mansfield House Settlement. It provided health and welfare services to women and children, including a Dispensary in Quadrant Street and a Hospital in Balaam Street. It provided other services such as adult education classes and advice for young mothers. Its members played an especially important part in helping people who had been injured or made homeless by the Silvertown Explosion. Canning Town Women's Settlement operated on the money raised by its members - wealthy middle class ladies - who paid subscriptions and held fundraising events such as garden parties.
The Women's Settlement's buildings were bombed in World War Two, except the Cumberland Road site which continues to operate as a social centre and flats for elderly people.
From Newham Heritage & Archives collection