Widmills were once a common local site.
This is Abbey Mill in the late 18th century. Samuel Ball was the tenant miller when this engraving was made. Christ's Hospital came into possession of the Abbey Mill in the late 1680s and owned it throughout the 18th century. Rocque's map of 1746 records this mill together with three others located on the marshes above Stratford and two located just south of the Pigeons public house on Romford Road. Later, a windmill was erected on Clockhouse Farm, near what became High Street South, East Ham, which belonged to the Burges family. This windmill is mentioned in Alfred Stokes' book "East Ham - From Village to County Borough" in chapter VIII, dealing with the period form 1872.
(Image: Newham Arts & Heritage)