Upton 'Manor', was a large estate extending from Upton Cross south to Plaistow village and east to Green Street. It was the seat of Sir John Henry Pelly.
The estate belonged to Henry Hinde, from whom it descended in 1780 to his grandson Henry Hinde Pelly (died 1818). In 1810 Pelly bough the Manorial rights to three other manors: East and West Ham Burnells; Pliaz, and East West Ham. Sir John inherited all four estates, making him one of the largest land owners in West Ham.
The Upton estate comprised about 140 acres including a large house in a park of 40 acres. Soon after Sir John's death in1852, the property began to be developed for building as the Upton 'Manor' estate. The house - which then stood in the south-east corner of Upton Cross - was a three storey brick building, with two-storey wings, probably built or rebuilt in the 18th century. The house was later occupied by the Lister Family. It was demolished about 1865. In the 19th century it was called the Manor House, or Four Manor House. In 1875 the park was opened as a public tea-garden called The Shrubberies but by 1888 it had been laid out for building. Pelly Road, Pelly Bridge and the former Pelly Memorial School are named after the family. This image is from Fry's History of East & West Ham