This was the last dock to be built in Silvertown, and was capable of handling ships of 35,000 tons. (The Mauretania berthed here in 1935). The Royal Yacht Britannia is entering under the bascule bridge for the opening ceremony in 1921. 'Britannia' was ordered in 1892 by the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, and after his death owned by George V. Built on the Clyde, of wood on steel frames, the vessel was launched in 1893 and enjoyed success in its early racing years. In 1897, the Prince sold it, only to buy it back four years later and fit it out for cruising only. In 1921, the new owner, George V, refitted it out for racing, and for the first few seasons was able to replicate its earlier successes. However, as the years progressed 'Britannia' became increasingly unable to hold its own against the more modern rigged J-class yachts. Although fitted out with a Bermudan rig in 1931, it was still unable to match the newer yachts and was withdrawn from racing in 1935. After George V's death in 1936, it was towed out into the English Channel and sunk in deep water off the Isle of Wight, in accordance with his dying wishes.