The most re-built station on the line.
The station was opened by the Eastern Counties and Thames Junction Railway as "Barking Road" in 1847, and was situated to the south of the road. It was rebuilt on the same site in 1873 and renamed Canning Town. The station was again re-built north of the Barking Road in 1888, being further rebuilt in 1932 and 1979. A replacement booking hall was constructed in the 1960s and was demolished in 1994.
Since the late 90s the station has been expanded for connections with the Docklands Light Railway (1994) and the Jubilee Line (1999) and the adjacent bus station added.
A 150 year association with the North London Line (NLL) ceased on 9th December, 2006. On this date, the last passenger services from Richmond and North Woolwich were withdrawn. A special train was run on 10th December for VIPs.
Construction is under way (2009) of a DLR extension from Stratford International Station to Canning Town via West Ham, which will include new intermediate station, using the former NLL track bed.
(Newham Heritage & Archives:some text from Return to North Woolwich compiled by the Great Eatern Railway Societyand published by PEMT Enterprises Ltd., 1987)