The Post and Telegraph Office at 106 Albert Road in about 1898. This corner shop is also a pharmacy and surgery.
The North Woolwich postal sub-district included Silvertown, where the first post office opened in 1878. The small sign for the Post Office just below the window tells customers that it deals with "money orders; savings bank; parcel post; telegraphs; insurance and annuity business."
Among the advertisemants in the window are "Viholia Soap", "Sanitas" and "Soda Potash Lemonade." Note the ornate lantern above the. Two gas street lamps can just be seen in the side-street.
The shop to the left indicates it is a dining room. The young lady in hat and short cape has probably stopped en-route to be included in the shot.
(Photo: Newham Heritage & Archives - Godfrey collection)