Author Topic: media blackout  (Read 2811 times)

Offline nellanhoj

• View Profile
Re: media blackout
« Reply #30 on: 30 March, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »
I think editors have a lot of control over what is, and what they want to seen, as important. Believe me you only read very edited versions of the actual reports submitted to them. They can't of course print any story on the strength of hearsay.  Everthing has to be verified. Sometimes in the case of "baddies" you don't read about until case has reached court and sentencing passed. There's not quite as much freedom of the press as we are led to believe because of the laws of liable and gagging orders!

Offline lelboy

• New to the board
    • View Profile
Re: media blackout
« Reply #31 on: 23 July, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »
Hi Ed, Just thought I'd pass a few comments. Lived in the area from 1962 to 1977 and well remember getting "bridgers" whilst trying to get to work at "Tate's". I now live back in the area - returned in 1980 after the major rebuild - and would say that although the population has increased massively, the area is, in my opinion, pretty soulless. Very little sense of community - with many residents being transients - and our lives blighted by the UEL and City airport. I was in intrigued by your comment about the odd planes to be seen when you cross the bridge (do you remember Jaspers betting shop and the post office just before it?). Not odd planes, just too many of the bloody things - from 6.30 am till 10.30 pm. We never had that amount of disturbance - even when the docks were in full-flow, and the dockers walked by my house in the mornings - going into the docks via Savage Gardens and the Central pub!
Different times and a different world. Cheers, Les.