Author Topic: Vera Day  (Read 2506 times)

Offline indaloman

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
Vera Day
« on: 30 April, 2010, 03:45:40 PM »
Anyone remember the actress Vera Day, she was in 'A Kid For Three Farthings' with Davis Kossof, and many other films. She is still working and finished another film a few months ago. I remember her as a very pretty girl driving around Katherine Road in her Austin Healey, she lived off of Katherine Road, near Romford Road

Offline Mike Baines

• What a pretty picture!!
    • View Profile
Re: Vera Day
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »
Yes. I remember her, cute, pretty blonde.  I rather fancied her but the feeling wasn't reciprocated!!
Gercha!

Offline ALANF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2010, 03:58:08 PM »
I remember her being announced as 'Doris Day' when the announcer at West Ham Speedway said she was sat in the stand watching. As all the crowd craned their necks to get a peep, he then apologised and said that it was Frances not Doris. That was in the early fifties, so if she is still working she is doing well.

Alan

Offline Rennay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2010, 12:56:11 AM »
Where exactly did she live? Somewhere off Katherine road but where? Anyone know?

Offline Kathy Taylor

• Born and bred in Canning Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2010, 09:02:14 AM »
Hi Rennay

I have been told that Vera Day was born and grew up in North Woolwich but have found a reference on the internet that says she was born in forest Gate and when she married her first husband Arthur Mason who a Charles Atlas model they lived in Sherrard Road, Forest Gate.

She was in a film a couple of years ago called The Riddle in which another local Kenny Lynch appeared.

Kathy
« Last Edit: 06 May, 2010, 09:44:09 AM by Kathy Taylor »

Offline carol price

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2010, 10:17:39 AM »
Talking of Kenny Lynch,
  I have a couple of photos of him when he used to sing with a local band called The Ed Nicol band .
 The band leader lived in Forest gate . When I was putting together my books about Forest gate
 I went to see the man at his house and we talked about the band etc ..originally I was asking about the skating rink .In about 1950 or there abouts his band won a competition ,he was presented with his prize by Mantovanni and Winifred Attwell in Laurie's record shop in Angel lane ,I have a brilliant photo of this occasion .
                          Carol.

Offline Rennay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2010, 07:30:20 AM »
Thanks Kathy!

Offline indaloman

• Helpful user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2010, 08:06:37 PM »
Hi Rennay

I have been told that Vera Day was born and grew up in North Woolwich but have found a reference on the internet that says she was born in forest Gate and when she married her first husband Arthur Mason who a Charles Atlas model they lived in Sherrard Road, Forest Gate.

She was in a film a couple of years ago called The Riddle in which another local Kenny Lynch appeared.

Kathy
That right Kathy it was Sherrad Road, I was a copper at Forest Gate at the time and used to see Vera and her husband Arthur often. She was certainly making a film last year as one of the production crew offered to forward any emails to her.